Don't know where to begin?
The Ohio Department of Aging offers a Benefit's CheckUp
questionnaire on-line that can help you identify federal or state programs that you might be eligible for. If you prefer to talk with a professional from the Department of Aging
, call 800.282.1206. The screening takes about 15 minutes and answers are confidential.
- Heating Help Get help with your heating costs through The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) . Union County Senior Services is able to help with the application process at no cost. Call Senior Services for an application or for additional information 937.644.1010 or toll-free outside of Marysville 800.248.2347.
- Home Weatherization Assistance Program (HWAP) The purpose of HWAP is to assist low-income households with the conservation of energy through education and home weatherization services. Program activities include: application assistance, estimation/inspection, weatherization services and consumer education. This program is coordinated with other Community Action programs and local rehab programs to provide the most comprehensive services. This program is available through Bridges Community Action Partnership 937.642.4986 or 800.858.4452.
- Senior Home Repair Program/Housing Trust Fund Program This program provides minor home repair/maintenance services to qualified senior homeowners. Priority is given to repairs that focus on health and safety. Services may include: wheelchair ramps, plumbing, electrical repairs, roof repair/replacement and heating unit repair/replacement. This program is available through Bridges Community Action Partnership 937.642.4986 or 800.858.4452.
- Cancer Help The Union County Cancer Society provides assistance with prescription medication, mileage reimbursement, Ensure, wigs, and prosthesis. Call 937.642.3910 for more information.
- Medicare Premium Assistance The Medicare Savings Program can help pay Medicare Premiums or co-pays. This program is based on financial eligibility. Make an appointment with the Department of Job and Family Services 937.644.1010 to apply.
- Prescription Drug Assistance Program The Union County Senior Services Prescription Assistance Program has been established to help meet the rising demands of prescription drug costs for Union County Seniors age 60 and over who do not qualify for Medicaid or Medicare Extra Help, but who are unable to afford the prescription drugs they need. In addition to this program, the Union County Senior Services will work with seniors to explore a variety of other programs that are available to help them with their prescription drug costs. If you are finding it difficult to pay for the prescriptions that are prescribed for you by your doctor, call 937.644.1010. This program is funded by the Union County Senior Services Sales Tax.
- Clothes Closet Located in the Hope Center , 212 Chestnut Street in Marysville, The Clothes Closet serves all of Union County providing clothes, shoes, bedding and small household items to those in need regardless of income or situation.
- Food Stamps / Ohio Direction Card The Food Stamp Program also known as the Ohio Directions Card helps people with low incomes obtain nutritious food. Food stamps are issued by the U.S. Department of Agriculture through Human Services departments and are used to purchase specific staples and grocery items at participating grocery stores. Eligibility, determined by the CDJFS, is based on federal guidelines including income, resources and household size. Food Stamp benefits are issued by use of a Smart Card called the "Ohio Direction Card". This program is available through the Union County Department of Job and Family Services call 937.644.1010. Click here for more information.
- North Union Personal Needs Pantry is located at 18 South Fulton Street in Richwood. The hours of operation are the first and third Saturdays of the month 9-11am and the second and third Thursday of the month 9-11am. This program is funded in part by the Union County Senior Services Sales Tax.
- Personal Needs Pantry The Union County Personal Needs Pantry is dedicated to serving the individuals and families of Union County to help them meet their basic needs. They offer paper products, cleaning supplies and toiletries along with senior-related items including incontinence supplies and denture care. Customers will be given a referral form that is requested to be filled out and returned for future visits. The Union County Personal Needs Pantry is located in the Hope Center , 212 Chestnut Street in Marysville. The hours of operation are Monday and Thursday 5- 7pm, Saturdays 9am - noon and the first Wednesday of every month noon - 2pm.
- Richwood Food Pantry R.E.A.P . The Richwood Emergency Assistance Program Food Pantry is available to help individuals and families with emergency supplies. R.E.A.P. is open on Fridays from 9:30-noon. Clients may pick up 4 times a year, 2 times every six months. R.E.A.P. Food Pantry is located behind the High School in Richwood. They can be reached by calling 740.943.3130.
- Legal Assistance by Appointment The Legal Aid Society offers free legal assistance to A paralegal is be available by appointment to review legal questions and to prepare simple documents for any senior over 60 regardless of income or assets. The Legal Aid society receives a federal grant to provide legal assistance to the older adults of Union County. Some examples of common services they provide are: simple wills, power of attorney, healthcare power of attorney, survivorship deeds, consumer collection, bankruptcy, housing issues, predatory lending, foreclosures, loss or denial of public benefits, and family law issues. Call Karen at 888.301.2411 for an appointment.
- Legal Telephone Hotline for Older Ohioans Pro Seniors is a group out of Cincinnati that has a grant for providing all Ohioans over 60 with free legal service, regardless of income. Telephone appointments for the legal hotline can be made Monday-Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm. An intake worker will ask for basic information and have a hotline attorney call you. The attorney hotline frequently deals with legal issues concerning consumer issues, Medicare, Medicaid, Medicaid estate recovery, social security, living wills, durable power attorney for health care, protective services, etc. If your legal problem cannot be solved over the phone, they can refer you to an appropriate source for further assistance. The Pro Seniors legal hotline can be reached toll-free by calling 800.488.6070.
- Telephone Bill Discounts / Free Mobile Phone The Lifeline Ohio Program offers discounts for lower income seniors on their telephone bills or a free cell phone with monthly minutes. Click here for more information on LifeLline and Linkup Ohio
- UCATS Transportation The Union County Agency Transportation Service offers transportation to community mealsites and doctor's appointments. They also offer weekly grocery shopping trips. This service is provided by donation only and is first-come first-serve. To reserve your seat call UCATS at 937.642.5100. This program is funded in part through the Union County Senior Services Sales Tax.