Dog Warden


The Union County Dog Warden serves Union County under the direction of the Commissioners by enforcing Ohio Revised Code 955 Dogs.

Please contact the Dog Warden for any dogs running at large.  If the dog belongs to a neighbor or if you have witnessed an ongoing problem, any information such as the dog owner's address, name, or dog's name and description of the dog is very helpful.  If you are still having a problem with a neighbor’s dog running loose, even after calls to the Dog Warden’s Office, please call again.  No news is good news, and it might be assumed that the problem was resolved after the first encounter if we don’t hear anything after an initial contact.

If Your Dog Has Been Impounded

The Union County Humane Society houses all dogs impounded by the Union County Dog Warden.  Residents may bring a stray dog to the Union County Humane Society at 16540 County Home Road, Marysville, Ohio.

You will be required to show your dog’s current dog license or purchase one at the shelter in addition to paying redemption fees.

The Union County Humane Society is not responsible for enforcement of the Ohio dog licensing or dog at large laws.  If you have violated these laws, you may be contacted by the Union County Dog Warden after redeeming your dog from the shelter regarding the enforcement of these laws.

If You Have Found A Dog

You can trace Union County dog licenses online to find the dog’s owner in the Dog License Search.

Please contact the Dog Warden and/or UCHS if you have found a dog.

Pet Adoptions

Please stop at the Union County Humane Society, 16540 County Home Road, if you wish to adopt a companion animal. If you don't see a pet fitting your needs, please check back.  There are new animals coming in all of the time.  Many of our pets can be viewed on  Pet Finder  .

The Union County Humane Society houses all dogs impounded by the Union County Dog Warden.  After a holding period specified by Ohio Revised Code, strays are evaluated for adoption by the Union County Humane Society.

Humane Treatment of Animals

If you have concerns about cruelty, neglect, abuse or abandonment of pets, please contact the UCHS at (937) 642-6716   For a copy of the Ohio humane laws,  click here  .

Owner Surrendered Pet/Owner Requested Euthanasia

For owner requested euthanasia of pets, please contact a local licensed veterinarian.  The Union County Dog Warden does not accept owner surrenders or provide private euthanasia of pets.  For surrendering an owned pet to UCHS, pet owners need to contact the UCHS in advance to check on availability of this service at 937-642-6716.

Animal Bites, Rabies Testing, and Quarantines

The Union County Dog Warden will respond to animal bites to take a report of the incident, to capture stray animals, or to take an dog in for rabies testing.
For more information about rabies, other zoonotic diseases, and animal bites, please contact the Union County Health Department at (937) 642-2053.

Online information about rabies:
U.S. Center for Disease Control 
Ohio Department of Health


 Upon request, the Union County Dog Warden will attend public meetings and events to answer questions, speak about issues facing animal control, and address concerns.  The Dog Warden will also do educational demonstrations for adults and children on animal safety.