Please read this page before applying for a dog license.
There are options available for registering or re-registering your dog(s):
1. Online Dog Registration and Payment: Dog owners may utilize the Online Dog Registration Application to complete a dog registration form and submit payment via credit card. The online application can be used for renewal as well as new dog registration. Please note there is an additional $2.00 service charge to use the online dog registration application.
2. Registration By Mail: Dog Owners may fill out the Dog License Registration Form and mail the application, along with payment, to the following mailing address:
Union County Auditor’s Office
Attn: Dog Registration
PO Box 420
Marysville, OH 43040
3. Walk-In: Dog Owners may stop in to the Union County Auditor’s Office between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday in order to complete the dog registration or re-registration and make appropriate payment via cash, check or money order (no debit or credit cards). The Union County Auditor’s Office is located at:
Union County Office Building – 2nd Floor
233 West Sixth Street
4. The Union County Humane Society (Marysville): Union County Dog Licenses are sold here between December 1 and January 31.
Please contact the The Humane Society to determine payment options at 937.642.6716
16540 County Home Rd
Marysville, Ohio 43040
5. After January 31, licenses can be purchased with an additional $18.00 penalty at the following locations:
Union County Auditor’s Office (Marysville)
Union County Humane Society (Marysville)
First and foremost it is the law. It is also a great identification tag to get your lost dog back to you. There are many cases where a dog gets loose from its owner, and is able to be reunited because of the license. No dog shall be harbored, kept, or owned without displaying a valid registration tag. (The law applies regardless of whether the dog is kept inside or outside.)
Yes. All dogs older than three months of age must be licensed.
Dog licenses must be renewed annually between December 1 and January 31, unless you purchase a three-year or permanent dog license (this is different than a three-year rabies tag).
The base fee for a dog license is $18.00 annually, with the exceptions listed below. After July 1, some fees may be prorated.
For an annual tag, the cost is $18.00. For a three-year tag, the price is three times the annual fee. A permanent license is ten times the annual fee. If you are late purchasing the license, the penalty is the annual fee only.
The penalty can be avoided if you purchase the dog license immediately upon acquiring the dog. After the renewal period of December 1 through January 31, a penalty will be assessed for all dogs licensed that are older than three months of age and have been owned for more than 30 days.
When the January 31 license renewal deadline falls on a Saturday or a Sunday, the deadline is extended to the next business day. Also, the county commissioners may extend the deadline by county resolution.
If you or your pet loses a license, you can request a duplicate tag for $5.00. Please send us a check or money order with a letter that includes your name, address, and license number (if known) so we can send a replacement tag.
The ownership of a current dog license can be transferred to another owner for just $5.00. The current owner on file, or executor of the current owner’s estate, must sign the transfer form. It is also advisable for the new owner to sign the form. Licenses are NOT transferrable between dogs.
The laws governing dog licensing in the State of Ohio can be found in the Ohio Revised Code (ORC), sections 955 and 956.
You may call our office, email our office at email@example.com or send us a letter informing us of the move. We will mark the record(s) accordingly. Please note that most counties in Ohio will recognize the tag until it expires. When that license expires (if it is not a permanent tag), you will need to contact the auditor of the county to which you have moved.
Yes. We will honor the license until it is expired. You will need to provide a change of address to the auditor of the county from which you have moved. When that license expires, you will need to contact our office.
No. You are required to purchase a license immediately upon arrival in the State of Ohio. If you wait more than 30 days, the county auditor is required to charge a penalty equal to the fee.
Complete the standard dog license application and send it with proof of training from a nonprofit special agency as required by the Ohio Revised Code (955.011). This registration is free and permanent.
Please contact the Union County Auditor’s Office or the Union County Dog Warden for information on registering a Kennel.
Please contact the Union County Auditor’s Office or the Union County Dog Warden by phone, letter, or email so we can update your records.
If you have further questions, or if you need assistance with dog licensing, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact our office at 937-645-3003 during regular business hours, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.