Ohio Concealed Carry Law (CCW)

the union county sheriff's office accepts concealed carry license applications by APPOINTMENT ONLY.  Walk-ins will not be accepted.



Please keep in mind that the scheduler will only show appointments two months at a time. If there are no appointments available during this timeframe please DO NOT CALL our office, just keep checking back as new appointments are pushed out daily. 

Office Hours: 

9:00 AM – 11:00 AM and 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM

The Application Process for New and Renewal Concealed Carry Licenses: 

To qualify for a Concealed Carry License, you must:

You must be at least 21 years old.

You must reside in Union County or an adjacent county (Franklin, Delaware, Marion, Hardin, Logan, Champaign, or Madison) to apply for a Concealed Carry License at the Union County Sheriff's Office.

You must read the Concealed Carry Law manual prior to your appointment. This manual explains the training and education requirements, the application process, and the duties that accompany holding a Concealed Carry License. It is available online at www.OhioAttorneyGeneral.gov.

To obtain a Concealed Carry License, you must:

You must provide a valid photo ID (driver's license or state ID).

You must complete the State of Ohio Application for License to Carry a Concealed Handgun. This application can be picked up in the lobby of the Union County Sheriff's Office or downloaded online at www.OhioAttorneyGeneral.gov.

You must attach a passport-size (2x2) color photograph to the application. This photograph must be taken within 30 days of your appointment.

New applicants must provide a copy of your competency certificate that complies with the Concealed Carry Law. This certificate must be issued within 3 years of your application date. 

Renewal applicants must provide a previously issued Ohio Concealed Carry License. This license can either be expired or currently valid. There is no additional training required to renew your license, regardless of how long ago it expired. 

You must pay a non-refundable application fee. Payment must be in the form of a MONEY ORDER, PERSONAL CHECK, or CERTIFIED BANK CHECK ONLY. All Money orders and checks must be made payable to the "Union County Sheriff's Office." 

If you are applying for a new Concealed Carry License and have lived in Ohio for 5 years or more, the fee is $67.00. If you are renewing your Concealed Carry License and have lived in Ohio for 5 years or more, the fee is $50.00. If you have lived in Ohio for less than 5 years, there is an additional $10.00 fee. 

If you are an active duty military, retired military, or an honorably discharged veteran of the United States Armed Forces, you can apply for a Concealed Carry License without completing an 8-hour training course or paying an application fee. You must present an active military ID, retired military ID, or qualifying DD214 to receive these waivers. VA cards will NOT be accepted. 

Applicants must bring all the required materials listed above to your appointment If you are missing any materials or bring an unaccepted payment method, you must reschedule your appointment. 

If your application is approved, your Concealed Carry License will be mailed to you. If your application has been denied, a certified letter will be mailed to explain the reason(s) for the denial. The appeal process will also be explained in the certified letter. DO NOT CALL to check on the status of your application unless you fail to receive your Concealed Carry License or a certified letter within 45 days.

Replacing a Lost or Stolen Concealed Carry License

If your Concealed Carry License has been lost or stolen, you must report it to the county that issued your license. If the license was issued by the Union County Sheriff’s Office, please call 937-645-4103 ext. 4468 to schedule an appointment to have your license replaced. You must appear in person and provide either a report filed with a law enforcement agency OR a notarized statement advising that the license was lost or stolen. You must also pay a nonrefundable fee of $15.00

Updating Name or Address on a Concealed Carry License

If you need to change your name or address on your Concealed Carry License, you must report the updated information to the county that issued your license. 

To change your name, Union County license holders must provide legal documentation of your name change (i.e. marriage license). 

To change your address, Union County license holders must fill out an Address Change Form. 

All changes can be made at the Union County Sheriff’s Office during normal office hours, emailed to ssanders@unioncountyohio.gov, faxed to 937-645-4171, or mailed to the Union County Sheriff’s Office, Attn: Concealed Carry License at 221 West 5th Street, Marysville, Ohio 43040. 

Although it is not required, if you wish to obtain a replacement Concealed Carry License displaying your new name or address, you must schedule an appointment by calling 937-645-4103 ext. 4468 and pay a nonrefundable fee of $15.00

Temporary Emergency Licenses

The Concealed Carry law allows for the issuance of an emergency license without proof of competency certification under extraordinary circumstances. If you need to apply for a temporary emergency license, please contact Lt Bob Roberts by calling (937) 645-4131 or email broberts@unioncountyohio.gov.

If you have general questions concerning the Ohio Concealed Carry Law, please call 937-645-4103 ext. 4468 or visit the Ohio Attorney General’s website at  www.OhioAttorneyGeneral.gov.